Good oral health care is essential for your overall well-being. By taking good care of your teeth and gums, your risk of developing halitosis and other oral diseases is reduced. With the ever-growing array of dental care products available in the market, it is easier to keep your mouth in tip-top shape.
Here is a list of the top 5 best products for oral care:
- Toothbrush – whether manual or electric, you need to buy yourself a good toothbrush. The latest models of manual toothbrush these days have angles and multi-height bristles for better reach. They have easy-grip handles, and some even have tongue and cheek cleaners. Cleaning your tongue and cheek when brushing will help reduce the bacteria in your mouth. Dental experts suggest that you avoid buying a toothbrush that’s too big for your mouth. Electric toothbrushes are convenient because they have more strokes and allow you to control the pressure of brushing. Some models also have an LCD that tell you where to brush and for how long. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day for about 2 minutes can help keep your mouth clean and healthy. Also, you should change your toothbrush every after three months or when the bristles start to look splayed.
- Toothpaste – choose a product that contains plaque-fighting ingredients such as triclosan and xylitol. These ingredients will help prevent gum disease and tooth decay. The most important ingredient to look for in toothpaste is fluoride. Also, check if it’s scientifically and clinically tested and for a seal of recognition by the CDA.
- Mouthwash – this product helps freshen up your mouth, decrease bacteria and prevent gingivitis. Listerine is one of the most popular mouthwash brands today. However, if you don’t like anything that contains alcohol, there is a wide array of alcohol-free products that you can choose from. Some even contain tea tree oil, silver, and calcium.
- Dental Floss – flossing removes food particles that are stuck in between your teeth that brushing can’t get rid of. Choose a product that is slim enough to slide between your teeth without getting stuck. Regular flossing can help prevent the presence of bacteria in your mouth.
- Whitening Stripes – whitening stripes can help you achieve pearly whites in no time. Some products offer as much as two to four shades of brighter results to ensure the safety of your enamel. Choose a product that will still allow you to eat whatever food you want.
Regular trips to your dentist are also highly advisable. Although it may cost more money, it is your best move to avoid any oral disease. Failure to maintain good overall hygiene has harmful effects to your health; some are even deadly. Oral cancer is just one of the many diseases that you may suffer from.
Having good teeth and oral health can also affect your self-confidence. It can help you get a date, win a new friend or even land your dream job. When you’re confident about your smile, you feel good about yourself.
If you have healthy teeth and gums, but you are unhappy about the way your teeth look, dental veneers might just be the best solution for you. This cosmetic treatment is a fast and effective way to improve the appearance of your smile by changing the color, length, appearance, shape, and size of your teeth.
Veneers are typically thin, all-ceramic shells that are used to emulate the look of a natural tooth. They are bonded to the front surface of a tooth to create a beautiful, healthy, and natural-looking smile. This procedure is quick and painless, making it one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry services available to patients today.
Porcelain vs. Composite Resin Veneers
There are several types of veneers, but by far the two most popular are porcelain veneers and composite resin veneers. Composite resin veneers are generally less expensive than porcelain veneers. However, dentists usually recommend porcelain veneers over composite resin veneers for a number of reasons:
- Porcelain veneers can last up to 25 years and they rarely require any maintenance. Composite resin veneers, on the other hand, can only last between 5 and 7 years and are susceptible to breakage and chipping, so they require regular maintenance.
- Composite resin veneers are prone to staining while porcelain veneers are highly stain-resistant. Also, with proper care, porcelain veneers will continue to look beautiful for their entire functional life.
- Compared to composite resin veneers, porcelain veneers are more lifelike because they are translucent, which means that light shines through them exactly like natural teeth.
- Veneers made of porcelain are tolerated by gum tissues better than composite resin so they are overall more comfortable for patients to wear.
Benefits of Choosing Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers can offer the benefits of orthodontic treatment, enamel shaping, teeth whitening and dental crowns. These are a few of the many ways that dental imperfections can be corrected using porcelain veneers:
- Porcelain veneers can close tooth gaps. Porcelain veneers look natural and they blend incredibly well with natural teeth, so they’re excellent at covering up spaces between teeth as well as making them appear straighter.
- Porcelain veneers can fix stained teeth. Natural teeth can easily be stained by certain food and beverages, or even by the normal course of aging. Fortunately, badly stained teeth that cannot be corrected by teeth whitening products or professional treatments can easily be improved with porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are also available in a wide range of color shades, from natural to sparkling white, and they can be made to match the color of the surrounding teeth to give them a more natural and blended look.
- Chipped, broken, or worn down teeth can be covered and repaired with porcelain veneers. The habit of tooth grinding can wear down your teeth, changing their natural size and shape. This, however, can easily be fixed by having porcelain veneers placed over the front surface of your damaged teeth to provide you with the appearance of straight, perfectly aligned teeth.
How to Take Care of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers closely resemble natural teeth, so you just need to take care of them the same way you take care of your natural teeth. Keep following good oral hygiene habits like brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and regularly visiting your dentist. If you take good care of your teeth, your porcelain veneers will last from 10 to 20 years or more.